Bottled Ship Builder

Essential tools

Raindog

Hi Everyone,

just wondering what the forum memebers would consider to be essential tools for modelling ships in bottles. Two which make my life much easier are;

A Matchstick cutter - I can measure and cut spars and masts in a fraction of the time I used to take.

Sandpaper nail files. Double sided, tapering sanding files are great. They make sanding small parts an absolute joy.

I'm currently trying to find an easy way of slicing paper, card, or wood veneers, into fine strips (1mm or less). That's proving quite difficult :-)

Jeff.

The most frequently used tool in my collection is a simple metal post-43-0-46589800-1451263971_thumb.jpgfinger nail file by Revlon - the compact emery file (2345-10) sold in a blister pack in drug stores and elsewhere.  The 'grit' on one side is finer than on the other.  It is stiff enough to provide a firm working surface, but also slightly limber to allow it to 'give' and fit along non-straight surfaces.  When it gets filled with wood dust just blow it clean or, if necessary, give it a few light strokes with a brass brush.

Speaking of blowing, a can of 'canned' air comes in handy to move a lot of dust quickly.  But be careful - too big of a blast can damage some parts; too long of a blast can literally freeze parts of the model and the frozen parts will be brittle until they warm up again.

Another dirt-cheap sanding aid is a one-inch length of ¼ inch square stock.  Cut a strip of sandpaper one inch wide and 1½ inches long, snug it around the block and you'll have 5 flat, right angle sanding surfaces to work with.  3/8 inch square stock also works well.

Hey Jeff,

The Captain is right. There is an amazing amount of tools available from the dental or medical field. For cutting thin pieces of veneer or paper I use a razor blade used for shaving worts. I snap it in two and then insert into an exacto knife holder. I can cut .5 mm slices from paper or veneer. I buy the blades from a local medical supply store.

Jeff #2

Hi Everyone,

just wondering what the forum memebers would consider to be essential tools for modelling ships in bottles. Two which make my life much easier are;

A Matchstick cutter - I can measure and cut spars and masts in a fraction of the time I used to take.

I had no idea there was such a thing.  I'm definitely looking into getting one of those.  That would make masts and spars a lot more accurate.  

Also does any one think a paper cutter like this would be able to cut veneer into .5 or 1mm planks? 

westcott-trimair-wood-guillotine-paper-t

Thanks, Mike! I've ordered one of those metal emery files. Hopefully as useful as my paper emery files, but everlasting :-) Good info on the canned air, too. I've got two ships that have been built, but not bottled, due to laziness! They're covered in dust.....A good blast of air would sort them out. Neat tip with the block of wood, too. A good use for those offcuts :-)

I've also just ordered a bunch of Wart shaving blades, Chasseur! I'll give them a go.

I've pondered about a guilliotine, Dsiemens, it'd be great if it worked. They have one where I work, but it uses a circular blade.....I think I'll sneak into the office with some veneers and give it a go. If it does, I'll cut a load of them at work, and save myself the cost of buying one! Suddenly, a reason to look forward to going to work.....I already fill my lunch hour with working on a ship :-)

• 2 weeks later...