Bottled Ship Builder

Iron wool clipper Timaru

Shipbuilder

Thanks Gwyl,

I feel that keeping the masts and spars very thin is the secret to getting them to look right.     This should actually help with putting them in bottles as thinner masts and spars would be easier to get in!      The strength problem is overcome by making the masts and spars from metal rather than wood.

Bob  

Yes it did.     New Zealand and Australia from the UK was its trading route.   She belonged to Henderson, and they had a few sailing ships with New Zealand names - Dunedin, Canterbury, Invercargill, Auckland, Nelson, Wellington, Oamaru and Timaru.     Some of them were the first ships to carry frozen meat home from NZ using dry air compressers powered by coal, even though the ships were only propelled by sail.   Dunedin carried the first frozen lamb carcasses in 1882, leaving Port Chalmers on February 15th, and arriving in London on May 26th, with the cargo in perfect condition.  

It is a great pity that very few modellers are interested in these magnificent iron and steel sailing shipsof the late 19th century.

The square ports on the sides were just painted on for decoration, they did not conceal guns!

Bob

Edited by Shipbuilder

Thanks for that's interesting, I have lived all my life in NZ and don't know much about the early shipping.

I would like to build a model of the 'Nimrod' I have several pics of her but none of her in full sail.

On 1 January 1908, Nimrod sailed for the Antarctic from Lyttelton Harbour, Earnest Shackleton lead the expedition. I would appreciate anybody who may be able to help with a picture, thanks.

Edited by CaptOrion

I haven't been aboard Glenlee, but I have heard they made a very good job of her.    Here is a model of the Caithness-Shire, one of the sister ships.    Quite a few of this type were built in the 1890s - stump t'gallant rig (no royals above the t'gallants).     This model is 32 feet to 1 inch.    But very few modelmakers will even consider building this type of ship - No guns - not romantic enough :wacko:    

Bob

post-34-0-64115100-1449769247_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder