Bottled Ship Builder

Rouse Simmons- "The Christmas Tree Ship"

JesseLee

Got a set of Christmas bulbs made by different company from a different store this year. Began the process over again. glued the bottom label disc in. Painted the space between, got the sea bed base in. The Rouse Simmons carried Christmas trees so I wanted to show some on this build. Made some Christmas trees to put on deck by trimming the tip of a pipe cleaner- (being a pipe smoker I've got these laying around). Clipped them off & painted them. They were shipped bundled by tying them up with ropes so I rapped some very thin thread around them.

post-99-0-78647600-1445968559_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-29381100-1445968581_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-84237800-1445968600_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-65438600-1445968633_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-96745200-1445968657_thumb.jpg

Another thing I did different was I didn't make any kind of jig or base to hold the ship down while I worked on it. Just wanted to try it to see easy or hard it would be this way. I was able to do it but I highly recommend not doing it this way It was much more irritating- especially doing the rigging.  After gluing the sea baser in. The !st bulb out of the pack of 4 bought this year was found broken open one morning much like the picture before showed. That was now 5 bulbs broken. Got the 6th one out & for the 6th time started it all over again. Began to wonder if this would be possible at all, Repeated all these steps again & was now needing to figure out what I would do for the sea. After test fitting the ship in the neck - you guessed it- another break. This time it was just the neck itself. Very frustrated I was about to give up. Then I looked at the thin metal decorative cap that goes over the neck that holds the wire for hanging the ornament. When this piece is on it would completely hide this break. I decided I would finish this build & epoxy the neck back on & hide it all with the cap afterwards. The opening was still the same except it had a sharp edge I would need to be very careful with. I went with it......

post-99-0-46265700-1445970499_thumb.jpg

Got a lot of the rigging done. Tried adding ratlines after looking into it. It just about drove me crazy. I used Fray Check to hold them all in place then went back & used very tiny amounts of CA on the ends of each one so that nothing would come loose when folded down to put through the neck.

As I posted before my silicone sea didn't work out. I have been told that you can mix the color in it when applying. If I had know that then I would have used that method but since I didn't know it at the time I used Platalina modeling putty. I used as thin a layer as possible for 2 reasons. 1: in the past I found out that the pressure of putting it in & wave forming was enough to break the thin glass sides, 2: Weight. Putty is heavy for a Christmas Tree ornament so I wanted to keep as muck weight as possible out of this. Got a thin layer laid in. Put it in between our double paned windows on a sunny day The sun melted the putty down to the base & softened it so I could form the waves, ripples without much pressure so I wouldn't break through the thin glass sides. I did a lot of white aps because this ship sailed in the rough waters of Lake Michigan & these waters even sunk the ship in the end.

post-99-0-37418100-1446149711_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-73005300-1446149736_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-50390200-1446149756_thumb.jpg

post-99-0-80562900-1446149775_thumb.jpg

Turned out really nice Jesse. Speaking of Captain Santa I believe I seen his brother yesterday. I was walking back to the office and this guy said hey Jeff how is it going? To keep his identity confidential I'll use the name Doug. I recognized the voice but when I turned and looked I was completely startled. He had snow white hair which was really long tied in a pony tail and a big white beard. I couldn't believe my eyes. I thought I was looking at Santa Claus. LOL.

Man did Doug age!

Anyway I love the build and the trivia.

Jeff

post-71-0-64078500-1446838091_thumb.jpgVery nicely done with weight restrictions. It is nice to see a Great Lakes boat being done. These ships sailed on the most dangerous

waters in the world, in 450 years over 6000 ships have be wrecked on the lakes. In 1987 while living on my boat in Victoria I did a

Great Lakes boat.

John Zuch

Courtice Ontario