Bottled Ship Builder

Home made miniature lathe

Chasseur

I finally got my miniature lathe set up and running last night. The lathe consists of a Jacob's Chuck coupled to an old heater motor out of a Nissan King Cab that I got for $5 quit a while ago. Power comes from a dimmer switch to a 12 volt D.C. rectifier to power the 12 volt motor. The beauty of this rig is I can control R.P.M. by adjusting the dimmer switch which intern controls the amount of amperage to the motor. Ideal for turning masts, spars, what have you ... 

post-21-0-24473500-1441373986_thumb.jpg

Above is the motor mounted to my work bench at a height that is comfortable to turn things down while sitting.

Next we have my old timer rectifier that used to power a model railroad set up many moon's ago!

post-21-0-58418200-1441374114_thumb.jpg

Last is my dimmer switch set up. You can see by all of the paint splatter it has seen numerous hours of service. Still going strong!

post-21-0-07373300-1441374182_thumb.jpg

Total cost was under $50  ;)

Jeff

Great piece of work, will be very handy.

I build a miniature drill press using part of a Dremel Router base & the rack out of an old manual typewriter.

Here is a pic, I hope this will work, never put a pic on here before.

The drill press looks awesome.  What ingenuity our members have.  

Gwyl