Bottled Ship Builder

Arabia

Shipbuilder

I am now working on the cargo liner Arabia, of 1947.    The ship belonged to the Cunard Steamship Co.     Scratcbuilt at 32 feet to 1 inch.     I have been working on it for 21 days, with a total time spent so far of 32 hours.    

Hull length 16 inches.     

Bob

post-34-0-75669300-1439881081_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder

Although this isn't a step-by-step construction as is usually done for a build log, I think it should be with them rather than in "The Bilge". As someone else said, a ship in a bottle should first be a good miniature, putting it in a bottle is merely a display choice. The miniature ship models by you and others are inspirational to many of us ship bottlers.

I'm curious about your painting, Bob, it's perfect. Do you use an airbrush? What paint?

I only put it here because it is "off topic," not being a SIB, but if it nees to be moved to builds, that is OK with me!

The white painting on the sides of the raised poop and forecastle is white matt primer aerosol spray, as used in automobile spraying and undercoating.   

The white accommodation is not painted at all.   It is made from white styrene sheet.

The red underwater colouring is red oxid matt primer aerosol spray.      The black part of the hull is artists' acrylic black painted on by hand.     The white stripe is just a strip of white paper glued on!      The grey hatches are grey matt primer!

I use the above mentioned paints because they dry in a few minutes.     I have an airbrush, but never use it because I could never get the hang of it, and cleaning it out is too much trouble! :o        I prefer just squirting it out of an aersol can! :D

Bob

Edited by Shipbuilder

Although this isn't a step-by-step construction as is usually done for a build log, I think it should be with them rather than in "The Bilge". As someone else said, a ship in a bottle should first be a good miniature, putting it in a bottle is merely a display choice. The miniature ship models by you and others are inspirational to many of us ship bottlers.

Good suggestion Dave.  I have moved this to the Build Logs forum

I'm curious about your painting, Bob, it's perfect. Do you use an airbrush? What paint?

The someone who said that about being a good miniature first was me, I believe in Folk Art in Bottles. I'm flattered to be quoted and, as they say, if you don't blow your own horn from time to time someone else will use it as a spittoon.

Yes, they were good looking ships.    50 years ago today, I was sailing aboard this one, Richmond Castle, completed in 1944. (Photograph by J. K. de Vries Jnr, Cape Town).     From my diary entry that day:

Noon Position 16.39 North 17.43 West.   Speed 16.04 knots

Bad weather, tremendous now, roaring wind and tons of rain, my bunk is soaked, I will have to sleep on the settee tonight.   The ship is shaking right through.

My bunk was soaked because the porthole seal was leaking.      Very uncomfortable ship generally, but we had a very happy voyage:   Liverpool – London – Tenerfie – Luanda – Lobito – Walvis Bay – Durban – Port Elizabeth – Cape Town – Dakar – Marseilless – Hamburg – Bremerhaven – River Blackwater (UK).

It was all a big adventure when young, and the hardships were just accepted as normal!

Bob

post-34-0-51415800-1440951349_thumb.jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...