Bottled Ship Builder

Topsail schooner

Shipbuilder

The model of the Minnie is now complete.    The total building time came to 16.6 hours, spread over 9 days – an average of 1.84 hours per day.       I still have to build the display case and carrying case, although that does not take very long in actual work.    A lot of the time is used up waiting for glue and French Polish to dry.

Bob

post-34-0-16326900-1435320516_thumb.jpg

Bob,

Lower yards John's technique, uppers .5 mm wire turned to a taper on end.

Just another tricky day ... Jeff

Hi Jeff!

Try to pay attention to the bamboo for the making of masts for SIB. It is possible that the mast with the top part thickness of 0.5 mm with 0.3 mm aperture still retains sufficient strength.

Igor.

Beautiful work. She looks amazing. I wonder if your rigging technique might be usable with sibs. If the shrouds are connected to the mast and lower section glued to the hull after the ship is in the bottle it might work. I may have to take a swing at it when I get moved and my shop re set up. This is why it's good to have you in the forum. Despite the fact your ships are not in bottles they give me a lot of ideas. Thank you for sharing.

Copper wire rigging units would be a bit difficult to work with inside a bottle, but bristle would almost certainly work for the shrouds, perhaps with flyline ratlines. The model is delightful, so naturally showing something that appealing to a pack of bottlers is going to set minds spinning over ways of getting the vessel into a bottle, reminds me a bit of when the Seven Dwarves put  the comatose Snow White under glass.

TJ

The model is delightful, so naturally showing something that appealing to a pack of bottlers is going to set minds spinning over ways of getting the vessel into a bottle.

TJ

TJ,  You are 100% correct.  My mind is spinning with ideas etc. 

Bob,  This is magnificent!  Beautiful.

Gwyl

Thanks,

The problem with wire is that although it can be made straight or curved very easily, it must not be messed with after that, because if you bend it whilst it is in position on the model (when folding down or up), it will not go back to being straight or having a smooth curve again!     The only SIBs I have made, I cut the bottom off the bottle and put them in the wide end, replacing the bottom when complete.     Naturally I was told that this was cheating :D  but they were very popular.     I made several of them at sea and they were raffled to passengers, the money going to seamen's charities!     I doubt whether I will make another, because I always felt the opitical clarity of glass bottles was generally not very good.    Light bulbs have perfect clarity, but are more difficut to open!       I am also lacking in patience and was getting a bit tired of the Minnie by the time she was complete!

Bob 

Although it will not be of much interest here for obvious reasons, I have now made the display case for the Minnie.   The white sides are the protective plastic coating on both sides of the acrylic.     These will not be removed until I have French Polished the woodwork.    It took six hours to make the case.    It seems a long time, but not really when spread over a few days.   It was made from leftovers from larger models.

Bob

post-34-0-11714800-1435947918_thumb.jpg