Bottled Ship Builder

Indispensable tools

After years of building ships, SIB's and other things,  I have come to really appreciate certain tools. Sandpaper, Dremel type rotary tools,  carving gouges etc.  But as I get along in years, the one tool that I appreciate more than any other is my magnifying glasses.  These are this ones I use.  

post-1-0-81609100-1433165939_thumb.jpg

What is your favorite (or can't live without) tool to have in the shop?

Gwyl

The internet. Research is a very important part of our work (to me it's the most important part). A lot of ship bottlers shoot themselves in the foot with only superficial research. I remember what research was like in the pre-internet days 40 years ago. In a year of letter writing, arranging inter-library loans, visiting nearby University libraries, etc. it was next to impossible to find the information that can be collected in an afternoon on the web.

Sandpaper is my favourite tool. I spend a lot of time sanding to achieve the exact shape I want. I never throw sandpaper away. When it is worn down to nothing it can be used to burnish paintwork and varnishing before the final coat. 

That is a good tip.

Gwyl

• 1 month later...