Bottled Ship Builder

Interesting video found

Gwyl Blaser

Very nice video Tim.  There is a lot of help there for any builder.  Fascinating how he works his seas.

To get the vimeo or youtube videos to have the embedded feel,  it's best to not use the url furnished in the share feature but instead just cut and paste the actual url into the body of the text here at BSB.  

Tim,  Thanks for sharing the video.

Gwyl

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

JC Frankie,  It has been a while since I viewed this video.  It does have fun music to it.  This video is a good one to watch as it can teach a lot of different techniques in construction as well as the actual bottling of multi piece ships and scenes.  That is one thing I like about Heather's work, is that there is action portrayed in most of her scenes.  

Gwyl

Jeff.  It is a DVD.  I had a real hard time finding it until I searched for Robert Fresco the creator of the film. It appears that the National Film Board of Canada has the rights.  It's their website that I posted above.  On the site it does say it's in DVD format.   

I had seen it before when it was still online but I really enjoyed the video.  It demonstrates the joy and fulfillment that ship in bottle building can bring.  George Fulfit was a very charismatic person which makes it fun to watch.  He was also very creative with his tools and techniques.

However...if your looking for a video and or a builder that sticks closely to scale and precision this isn't it.  George Fulfit was very good in my opinion but his sib's fell a little more to the folk art side of the craft then the scale side.  Personally I don't mind that sort of thing.  What I liked most is George Fulfit depicted what the journey that building a ship in bottle is.  The fun of picking the ship and digging into the history and finding a good bottle.  Or the tense moments of getting the ship though the bottle neck and fitting the extra deck furniture that just won't go into place.  Then the celebration of having completed the ship.  It's every thing I've felt through the process of building a ship in bottle all displayed in a fun charismatic way.  

I saw this video when I first started building ships in bottles and it is part of what got me hooked.  When things get tedious or difficult seeing it was a good reminder that the overall experience is great.  You just got to keep building.          

Mine came in to day.  It's even better on dvd then it was on the internet.  The clarity and sound is much better.  For those that ordered it let me know what you thought.    

I haven't seen mine yet.  As we ordered within a day or two of each other, I would suspect my copy should be here any day.  I will let you know my thoughts once I view it.  :)

I picked mine up from the Post Office today.  I watched it this evening.  What a wonderful movie/documentary.  George is quite a character.  You can sure see he loves the sea, and building ships in bottles.  This short video is long on inspiration.  Thanks to Daniel for finding this video, and providing the link to purchase it.

Gwyl