Jump to content
Bottled Ship Builder


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


DSiemens last won the day on November 16

DSiemens had the most liked content!

About DSiemens

  • Rank
    Chief Officer

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Not Telling

Recent Profile Visitors

2,940 profile views
  1. DSiemens

    Horror Stories

    Nice save. Not making the same mistake twice isn't a bad thing. I think get more frustrated when I make the same mistake. I should know better after the first two times. ?
  2. DSiemens

    James Miller 3 masted schooner

    Beautiful work. Shes coming a long nicely.
  3. DSiemens

    The 'Phoenix' Portsmouth.

    Great job!
  4. DSiemens

    How to Build a Bermuda Sloop (for beginners)

    I need to get back to this. Work has taken over for a while. I think things are starting to settle down. I'll get back into the rigging soon.
  5. Happy ship in bottle day!
  6. DSiemens


    That helm is incredible. How did you cut such a perfect cirle at that size?
  7. DSiemens

    SS First Attempt

    Looks great. Great work on the carving. Its very precise.
  8. DSiemens

    HMS Gannet

    Birds are hard enough at large scale. Fantastic work.
  9. DSiemens

    How to Build a Bermuda Sloop (for beginners)

    For masts I use bamboo. I like it for its durability and because its in expensive. A package of bamboo scewers runs around $3 and holds enough for several ships. I cut my bamboo in section long ways and use a drawplate to get smaller round sections. I then put these pieces in a drill to smooth them out and add a bit of taper. Tapering masts and yards really adds to the realism and doesn't take to much extra time. As a cautionary note, don't spin wood in dremels. They spin way to fast and very often the wood gets off center and becomes a projectile. Drills are slower and safer. Once I have the mast cut down and sanded I measure it up to the plans and cut it to size. The same process applies to the top mast except its cut down even smaller. From here I cut a couple small blocks. And glue then where the mast doublings are on the plans. I then glue the top mast to these blocks. This creates a small space between the masts which is cteated by the cross trees. From here I cut out some strips of paper and stain them with wood stain. The paper is glued on and wrapped around the mast creating the cross trees. This also helps hold the two pieces together. For this ship I'll be using the hinge method. It's a great place to start on ship in bottle building. To make the hing drill a small hole in the base of the mast, insert a piece of wire and bend it down. Drill a couple holes for either side of the hinge where the mast will be placed on deck. Then trim the wire until it hits the bottom of the holes at about the point the bottom of the mast just touches the deck. Glue the wire in place. Test the hinge to make sure it works well. This is a good opportunity to test how well the ship fits in the bottle. The mast works fine but my channels are a bit to wide. Gotta fix that. One more note on masts. I typically don't drill a lot of holes in masts. The holes can easily cause the mast to break. Thinner masts look more realistic but are more fragile. To keep them strong I will be using knots to put on the yards. How ever for this build there is one more hole needed in the mast. It goes where the boom connects to the mast and will help with rigging the boom.
  10. DSiemens


    Speaking of handles, this is the chisel a friend of mine made. He turned a caligraphy style handle for it. It has some great balance and control to it.
  11. DSiemens


    I forgot answer the sanding question. I have a sanding block that works great. I've never tried dowels but that sounds interesting. If you try it let us know how it works out. Another thing I've found that works well is an electronic tooth brush. Cut the bristles off and glue sandpaper on the end. It becomes a mini electric sander. Other wise just sand paper in my hand works too.
  12. DSiemens


    I bought some very inexpensive chisels from a Harbor Freight. I think they are the ones in the link below. For me it was the smaller the better. I mainly use straight ones but sometimes the scoop one. I a friend of mine made a smaller chisel that is about a 1/16th of an inch wide. Its become one of my favorite detail chisels. https://www.amazon.com/LoveInUSA-Manganese-Professional-Carving-Chisels/dp/B071RDCC4S/ref=sr_1_36?ie=UTF8&qid=1531867474&sr=8-36&keywords=small+wood+chisels&dpID=51Hvp739BUL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch
  13. DSiemens

    How to Build a Bermuda Sloop (for beginners)

    Time to put some cannons in. Going back to the concept of putting together shapes a cannon consists of a cylinder sitting on a rectangle. For the cylinder I opened up an old cell phone charger cable and pulled out the black wire. For the rectangle I found a nice dark veneer and cut strips. I still had to thin it a bit to fit the cannons in the gun ports. Good to be aware of sizing on this part. Here it is with all the carriages glued in. If you can get a hold of or build this tool I highly recomend it. It really helps keep my length cuts consistent. Here it is with cannons. One of the last parts the hull needs is the channelsnfor the rigging. This is the piece chain plates and deadeys attach to on real ships. For this I cut a piece of veneer, drilled four holes and glued it to the side of the hull where the backstays will attach. This piece will be used for those back stays. Starting to get into masts and rigging. More to come.
  14. DSiemens

    Permission to come aboard!

    Welcome aboard. Nothong wrong with a million questions. Ask away. Thats what we're here for. I look forward to seeing your work. It is a fun and addicting hobby.
  15. DSiemens

    HMS Gannet

    She is coming together beautifully. Wonderful work.