Jump to content
Bottled Ship Builder

joe100

Members
  • Content Count

    79
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    17

Everything posted by joe100

  1. Thank you, glad you like ‘er
  2. After 36 days of work, 672 individual scratch-built pieces, my 1/1500 scale model of the British super-dreadnought HMS Ramillies is finished. The model depicts the ship as she appeared working up in late 1917 with her Wilkinson Admiralty Disruptive Dazzle camouflage scheme. The model is made from boxwood and brass, with four grades of tungsten wire for the rigging. The sea base was made from carved basswood and painted. The ship was built entirely from scratch using scale drawings and photographs. If you’d like more information about how I build these ships, I have a website www.josephlavender.com. None of the models are for sale and I do not take commissions. The 1943 Shilling is just under 1” or 24mm in diameter for scale. HMS Ramillies was a difficult subject since she’s probably the least-documented of the five Revenge class battleships. Only a handful of photographs exist of her from late 1917, the period I chose for the model. However, the originally Admiralty color plates used to paint the dazzle camouflage still exist. Ramillies wore this camouflage from late 1917 through March 1918. The colors did pose a bit of a challenge since the forward section of the ship was essentially painted pink or mauve as the RN referred to it, and that color doesn’t scale well. I chose a pinkish peach color cut with a bit of medium grey. Had I used the color right from the plate, without scaling it, I think it would have appeared too garish. The same was done with the other colors as well, cutting them with grey to soften them a bit.
  3. Thanks! I certainly lighten my colors quite a bit for ships this small. The pink or mauve color is almost a pink tinted light grey. It’d be too garish if I’d used anything brighter.
  4. She’s grown by a deck level, and the parts count now stands at 393.
  5. That is the way of it huh? It’s nice that he was able to get the guy on the phone and put it to bed. It’s similar to a couple of other instances I’ve been involved with. A much less historically important one was deciphering what color “stone” was on the upperworks of British merchant ships. Was it a tan? Was it a grey? No one knew. Then I’ll be damned if I was watching a color documentary on old British ocean liners from the 40s and 50s, and in the background was one of the ships I’d been trying to decipher. The other one is the green Tirpitz camouflage. That’s a whole thing that no one can agree on and we even have a color photo. Some say grey, some say green. All I know is that once that old photos was professionally color balanced... it looked grey to me.
  6. A little update. The gun turrets are finished. I’ve chosen to depict the guns in exercise, perhaps a dumb show drill since the railings are still up. I had to make an executive decision about the interior of the splinter shields and turret roofs in as far as the paint goes. I chose a medium grey since no references I can find describe what Wilkinson intended and what the paint crew actually did. So medium grey it is. The parts count stands at 236 individual pieces.
  7. I thought I’d post a WIP thread of my 1/1500 scratch build project of HMS Ramillies. Typically I build the base and the ship separately but this time do the some issues I had with securing USS South Carolina to her base, I’ve completed Ramillies up to the main deck and joined the sea base and the ship together. This should be okay as the superstructure will mostly be built as a sub-assembly. The model is a little less than 5” long and made from boxwood. The camouflage scheme was used by Ramillies in the winter of 1917 into the spring of 1918. The sea base is carved wood as well and painted.
  8. I carve all of my sea bases from wood. It’s tedious but that’s how McNarry did it, and how Philip Reed still does it. It’s the only way I’ve found that gives me the control I need
  9. Thanks! Ive always avoided the lattice mast ships since it reduces the rigging, and that’s my favorite part. USS SC had much less than most from the era. If you take a look at my HMS Dreadnought I tried to add everything I could, but on SC I was reaching to find more things to model on her masts. Im working on HMS Ramillies in her 1917 pink, yellow, and blue camouflage and she’s a rigging paradise!
  10. After about a month of work, my 1/1500 scale, fully scratch-built USS South Carolina model is finished. The model is entirely built from scratch. For more info, visit my website, www.josephlavender.com The hull and turrets are made from boxwood, the balance of the details are mostly brass, but I did use some styrene, and the funnels are turned brass. The decks were planked with basswood, mast rigging was made from tungsten wire. The ship’s boats are made from boxwood, brass, and stainless steel sheet. The ship is painted using Stynylrez black primer with Vallejo acrylic for both the color coat and top matte coat.
  11. My latest little creation, SMS Seeadler as she appeared early in her career in 1917. The model is made almost exclusively from boxwood and brass. The sails are a fine tissue paper that has been primed and painted, the rigging is several grades of tungsten wire. The sea base was made from carved basswood, then painted and sealed with epoxy resin.
  12. Thanks! Nothing beats natural light for photographs
  13. Thanks!!!! It was a pretty straight forward build thankfully, no issues. I was looking at my extensive collection of ship memorabilia, photos, autographs etc. and I realized I have a photo signed by Felix von Luckner, so next I think I’ll build Seeadler. As good a choice as any.
×
×
  • Create New...