Jump to content
Bottled Ship Builder

joe100

Members
  • Content Count

    55
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    12

joe100 last won the day on August 5 2017

joe100 had the most liked content!

About joe100

  • Rank
    Cadet

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Location
    North Carolina
  • Interests
    Ships of all eras

Recent Profile Visitors

1,325 profile views
  1. They’re made of boxwood, carved using scaled plans. The windows on the steam launches are brass, as are the funnels and roofs. the open boats are also boxwood. The seats are made of tungsten wire, the oars are brass
  2. Ships boats. I made all of them, but as I plan to depict the ship fast to buoys, I’ve installed all but 3. I still have 2 yet to go on, but they aren’t quite finished yet.
  3. Additionally I get flack for using the old imperial scale comparison, which is just easier for the average person to comprehend. A fraction doesn’t really convey size.
  4. Thanks guys! I use the old shilling because it looks good and it’s a neutral size. I can’t tell you how much flack I get sometimes though! One guy said I was worthless because I didn’t use several internationally known coins for size, and that it was very rude of me. He meant it too. Had to ask him to stop contacting me in the end. It’s just a coin! He hasn’t been the only one though, it’s bizarre.
  5. Here are some photos of my progress on my scratch-built, 1/1500 scale HMS Dreadnought, 125’ to 1” at just over 4” long overall. The hull was made from boxwood, the deck planked with bass. The balance of the detail is mostly brass, with some styrene, aluminum, and tungsten wire. The funnel was made from aluminum sheet, and is hollow all the way through. Probably overkill, as I included not only the external piping but internal as well. The handrails are brass, awning stanchions are tungsten wire. The bridge has a full interior, ship’s wheel, telemotors, binnacle, chart table. They can all be seen through the bridge windows and through the bridge wings. The bridge windows will receive glazing but not until the model is finished and clear coated Total parts count at the time of this post is 702.
  6. Dazzle was a bit later, but not much. The green was used to hide the ship when it was anchored near shore along the Dalmatian coast, but it didn’t really work. The Austrians went to a grey blue in 1914
  7. Thanks! The green camouflage was unique but phased out just prior to WWI
  8. After 17 days of work, 554 individual scratch-built pieces, my model of the Austro-Hungarian Dreadnought SMS Viribus Unitis Model is finished. The model depicts the ship as-built in her Montecucculin Green camouflage. The model is 9.5cm or 3.75” long. Using drawings of the ship that I scaled down, the hull and main turrets were made from maple, the hull being a sold piece. The deck was planked with laser cut basswood, the funnels from turned and machines brass, the bulk of the superstructure was made from styrene and brass. Masts, gun barrels, and torpedo net booms were also made from brass. The awning net supports, torpedo net rigging and mast rigging are all tungsten wire. Flags were hand painted on foil with oils and acrylics. The paint consists of black poly-acrylic primer with green-blue from Vallejo. A very thin wash of grayish brown oil was applied to bring out some of the hull details. Everything was sealed with Vallejo matte lightly airbrushed. I chose a much lighter shade of green since the prototype color, Oliv Mittel, would have been far too dark on a ship this scale. I think the green-blue from Vallejo captured the essence of the Montecucculin camouflage.
  9. Thanks! Now that I have a set of her original plans, I'm planning a 1/350 scale build of her sometime soon. I may continue this idea, however, and build the other two Shackleton ships Aurora and Nimrod, and perhaps others he was aboard.
×
×
  • Create New...