Jump to content
Bottled Ship Builder

Leaderboard


Popular Content

Showing content with the highest reputation on 12/18/2018 in all areas

  1. 1 point
    exwafoo

    Generic Brigatine

    Hi All At long last I’ve finished my brigantine. I’ve mentioned before that it was shipwrecked when launching it into the bottle, when I dropped it. Of course it landed upside down and broke both masts and bowsprit. Photo below (before launch). This is the first SIB I started making, and it’s undergone a lot of changes over the years as I used it to develop techniques. There is not a lot of wood left in the hull under the paint now and it has had several different styles of masts and hinges, including the last. I put it to one side after the last mishap, but decided to finish it, with some more changes during the repairs: New masts, spars and bowsprit Masts have Hinckley Hinges instead of located in a dip in the deck using a thread – I found that they had a tendency to rotate. Crosstrees instead of tops New railings all round Addition of Catheads New ‘decking’ A new suit of sails Windlass instead of a capstan Boat stowage on the deck house roof rearranged Deckhouse scuttles (portholes) ‘re-glazed’ with very pale blue instead of white, The masts, spars and bowsprit were made from cocktail sticks. I drilled the required rigging holes before taking down to size and forming the Hinckley hinges. The bowsprit was relocated to a new position – mounted on the forecastle instead of inserted under it. I decided to try crosstrees instead of tops to get a bit of practice in the use of styrene. The railings were constructed from styrene, as were the catheads. The ‘decking’ was done in Powerpoint, sized, and printed off, cut out and stuck down (a real cheat). The sails were also done in Powerpoint, and printed on a sheet of 90gm craft paper. This is sort of buff coloured and has a parchment like pattern already on it. As the colour goes all the way through there are no white edges. Overall, I think the effect gives the impression of salt stained canvas. They were then bent on to the spars by punching the holes with a pin and using fly tying thread with the end stiffened in CA glue to facilitate threading. The spanker was attached to the mizzen using mast rings made from slices of styrene tube drilled out to reduce the wall thickness and then painted. The gaff and boom are located using threads through the mast. I made the windlass from a cocktail stick and some styrene sheet – I think it’s a big but I’ll accept it at present. So in it went. All I have to do is a stand instead of the working one I use, and a bit of rope work around the neck. Sixteen years from start to bottle. All the best for the hols and a Happy and Prosperous New Year Alan As it was before shipwreck new deck, catheads and railings Repairing the port cathead New masts and bowsprit Launched
  2. 1 point
    John Fox III

    Generic Brigatine

    Greetings Alan, Great job of repair, though to me it's more of an upgrade!! Anchor's A Weigh! John Fox III
  3. 1 point
    Onni

    Generic Brigatine

    A fine looking Brigatine. I'm impressed by the sea as well;very realistic.
  4. 1 point
    James w rogers

    Generic Brigatine

    Very nice! That looks great, well worth the time and effort. Love the deck planking and the sails look great. And it has a great history! 😃
×
×
  • Create New...