Bottled Ship Builder

I have used up about half of my attachment memory limitation (4 MB) and need to find an alternative method of posting photos. I know I can link to a url but that means I have to post photos someplace else on the web. I need help with this if I'm going to post photos after I reach my limit. I would find it very difficult to select and delete previously attached photos in order to post new ones.

Also, what is the largest photo size the forum will post without reducing the photo? I've noticed that some photos are reduced and others aren't but haven't analyzed my attachments to find the pattern.

I noticed that you increased the attachment limit to 20 MB and that helps.

Dave

Edited by Dave Fellingham

Dave,  You should not have a total limit on the files you upload to the site.  The limit is on a per single photo bases.  I did change the limit to 20MB per image.  This should accommodate almost all photos that we have.  If I am misunderstanding your question, please let me know.

Gwyl

I believe you are mistaken, 20 MB is now the limit for the total of attached photos. I find this limit by clicking my name at the top of the page, then selecting "My Settings" then clicking on "Manage Attachments" where I then see a bar showing I have posted 2 MB of my 20 MB limit and all the photos I've posted.

I no longer see the bar graph and there is no mention of a limit so I assume the limit is gone.

I would still like to know the maximum image size (in pixels) that the forum will post without reducing the image. I have to reduce my photos from 3472 x 2592 to another size anyway, it might as well be the largest the forum will display without reducing it.

Dave

The forum will automatically resize to 1000 w X 1600 t.  The reason for the 1000 wide is so that those using smaller screens and even large screens for that matter do not have to scroll back and forth to view a large image.  And for those images shot in portrait mode it will resize to 1600 tall.  You should be just fine uploading an image of the size you mentioned above.

Great questions about the workings of this forum.  Keep them coming so we can make it the best we can.  I'm on a learning curve as well  B)

Gwyl

After further reviewing all the photos I've uploaded here, I found that none are over 800 pixels horizontal even though the edited photos I uploaded to the forum are still on my computer at 1000 to 1280 pixels horizontal. I am unable to comment on the vertical limit since few of my photos have a portrait orientation.

Dave

Dave,  After your earlier post #6  above, I changed the size to 1000 from what used to be 800.  I wonder if that is why you are still seeing none that are over the 800.  

Let me know about size etc that you would like me to try.  I am open to the largest image we can get, as long as it doesn't create a scrolling problem for some.

Gwyl

Dave,  After your earlier post #6  above, I changed the size to 1000 from what used to be 800.  I wonder if that is why you are still seeing none that are over the 800.  

Let me know about size etc that you would like me to try.  I am open to the largest image we can get, as long as it doesn't create a scrolling problem for some.

Gwyl

That explains it. 1000 pixels or 800 is fine. Like I said above, I resize anyway for internet publication and 1000 pixels should be fine.

Dave

While we're on the subject of photos, I'm having a hard time getting a photo in my signature. The current set-up calls for a URL for a photo, but MSW allows uploading one in the same way we do photos in topics. Is that something you can tweak?

Dave

Dave,

I will look into this and see what I can get going.

Gwyl

Dave,  I haven't looked into all possibilities yet, but one of the easiest ways to put a photo in your signature is, first size it to 100v X 400h (no animated gif's or other animation please), then upload it to one of your gallery albums. Once in it is in an album, or gallery, go back to your CP settings, signature, and click on the my media icon.  I will allow you to select the image that you uploaded for insertion into your signature.  I look forward to seeing what image you have for your signature.

I realized the same thing just a few moments ago. And will take the opportunity to attach my signature photo here.

post-30-0-74207200-1429653738.jpg

And it all worked in less than 10 minutes. Thanks for being so patient while I asked a lot of questions to suit my detail oriented personality.

Dave

Placing the photo you want in your signature into a gallery (400 pixels x 100 pixels, or less) would work better than the way I did it.

Just the same one I used elsewhere to remind me that I need to keep working on my model of her. I've been working on it so long it's almost embarrassing.  :unsure:

Dave