Bottled Ship Builder

Preussen Clipper

Chasseur

The majority of my build is found on Model Ship World from its inception however... I'll post a few pictures here as well for people to view.  http://modelshipworld.com/index.php/topic/7581-preussen-clipper-by-chasseur-ship-in-bottle/

Steady as she goes!

post-21-0-37656300-1429149556_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-86346600-1429149586_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-40462800-1429149639_thumb.jpg

I had some time the last couple of days to get back into the hobby and do some work in my Man Cave. I am just in the stage of roughing out the hull and getting all of the sheer lines correct etc. The stern will be a hurdle in itself as I have to get the waist just right as it curves up to the rudder section.

Jeff  B)

I always find the hulls much more difficult and time-consuming than the rigging, but I don't have to make the rigging fold down, so that is a huge problem that I don't have to contend with.   Here are two shots of my Preussen.     One is low angle, showing the shape of the counter stern - it took me ages to develop a good method of making counters.    The other image is complete, and all ready for the sea.

Bob

post-34-0-96255900-1429165970_thumb.jpg

post-34-0-19391200-1429165985_thumb.jpg

Thanks, I use a similar method, but the horizontal insert is made from brass shim at the level of the knuckle.  That enables me to carve the slope down to it without losing the sharpness.    Attached is a good view of a typical steel counter, showing the complex shape.

I still cannot imagine how Jeff is going to make five masts, sails and rigging fold down and go in the bottle.     It is something I would never even attempt.    I am particulary interested in this build because I am one of the few who prefers the big iron and steel square-riggers to the ever-popular tea clippers or Napoleonic warships.

Bob

post-34-0-70614000-1429168179_thumb.jpg

Gents,

Thanks for the dialogue here and I love the photo's of Robert's model and the counter stern. Robert you are correct the hull of the Preussen is a challenge in itself. Lots going on however I really love the lines. Hats off to the naval engineer and draftsmen who designed this beauty.

And yes...getting the five masts fully rigged is a huge challenge however I am up for it when the time comes. I have a few tricks up my sleeve as I have been researching this beauty for a little over a year now. Steady as she goes, slow but sure or as I stated on MSW go big or go home!

Jeff

• 1 month later...

Well... real life got in my way big time however I am now off on vacation for a week. I immediately went into the man cave and started back at it. The first picture shows the wooden seas hollowed out and working on installing two small piece's of styrofoam as filler next to where the rudder section goes. I had to do this as I needed the adequate clearance to get the hull at the right depth.

post-21-0-06341200-1431829210_thumb.jpg

Next two shots show where I carved down the stern so I could gauge how deep to go when carving. I also wanted to show some rudder detail

post-21-0-44734400-1431830395_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-08986900-1431830419_thumb.jpg

The next two photo's show me working the modeling paste. I can't say enough about Artist's Loft Acrylic Acedemic Level 1 modeling paste. This stuff works well, gives adequate time to sculpt, dries really hard, and it even drills. The stuff is awesome!

post-21-0-62362900-1431830453_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-88078100-1431830478_thumb.jpg

One thing that makes this technique tricky is... I have to eventually cut apart all four pieces to get them into the bottle. The intention is to model as much as possible outside of the bottle, paint it up, and finish the touch ups in the bottle. I will take Dave's advice and go to WallMart and purchase some mini magnets. The ones I bought are too big. :o

More to come ... Jeff ;)

Edited by Chasseur

Thanks. I also cut it all apart to ensure it would go into the bottle. To date I have the magnets installed and that turned out good. Next step is to paint it up and just leave the final splashes on the lower part of the hull until it's installed in the bottle. Also I think I'll drip a little of Woodland Scenics water effects next to the hull to get that transparency look.

Will post some progress soon... Got tied up a bit working on the younger son's muscle car.

Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Life has been very busy however some progress has been made. Seas are painted up and final touch-ups will have to be done inside of the bottle. I have to also add; some spray detail by the hull, some Woodland Scenic water effects by the hull to show some transparency as well, aforementioned done inside the bottle. Cracks will get tighter once conformed in the bottle. Steady as she goes!

post-21-0-95283400-1434912311_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-09206500-1434912340_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-12907100-1434912361_thumb.jpg

post-21-0-82018200-1434912384_thumb.jpg

Dental pick to show the scale..... Happy Father's Day to all who read this.... Jeff

:D

I have used it in the past. It definitely has its advantages in the right applications. For my purpose I will use the liquid style they make and pour it through a tube. They also make the type railroaders use to model waterfalls which would work well for sprays, splashes, etc.

It all boils down to what your comfortable with. There was a Japaneese fellow who had a post on You Tube that used silicon for waves.

I tried it but didn't like the outcome.

One thing about Woodland's products which I like ... is you can tint it with whatever color of acrylic paint you choose. Great for doing near shore or river water.

Jeff

Woodland Scenics makes three water products. Jeff mentioned Water Effects which is similar to artist's gel medium. Here's their products:

http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/Water

I used several Woodland Scenics products in Ogallala to model the tall grass prairie. They provide excellent instructions and videos for their products.

Edited by Dave Fellingham

Jeff,

I have just been looking at the Preussen build on MSW from the 1st posting to the last.    It has given me the impression that this is the first SIB that you have attempted - is this correct?     Having built two Preussen's (one under sail and one with sails furled), I realise what a complicated vessel it is!     I could not even start to think how I could make all that rigging fold down and up again!    How many sails do you intend to set?    Will the staysails be set between the masts?   It is certainly a mighty ambitious project at that scale which works out at about 71 feet to one inch.    You mention laminated spars, and again, I wonder how it could be done on that scale.

The last entry on MSW is someone concerned about copyright of the material you put on there.     As the plans are only part of the main picture, there is no copyright infringement, as the model is the main feature and the part plans are of secondary concern.

I am fascinated by this build, and look forward to more progress.    I can see how the sea will all go together inside the bottle now.

Bob

• 1 month later...