Bottled Ship Builder

Berchems Whale Barque Erik

bluenoser

In F Berchems book on SIBs he talks about .building the ship Erik. Built in Scotland mid 1800s. Sunk late WW1 by a sub. between St.Johns NL and Sydney N  S I have a son named ERICK and world like to build it for him as a gift.  Anyone know of when I can get plans, photos, etc., of the ship of something similar.

Edited by bluenoser

Thanks again Alan..  The site worked fine, however the pictures were a bit small.  I was also able  to get a picture showing the bow of the Erik from the Maritime Museum of the Atlantic here in Halifax.NS. It has a narwhal in it and I can  not for  the life of me find it any longer.  Thanks again and I keep looking for that pic so I can post it.   rollie 

• 3 weeks later...

In Berchems book he says that the Erik had a rounded stern.  Did the Erik have a rounded stern or a flat one as the New Bedford whalers and others of the era?  I want to make it similar to the book but be historically accurate as well.  Thanks in advance for any information.

• 3 weeks later...

I've come across a couple of articles that may help. The link below is to a google book page that shows the build of one of Bob's (Shipbuilder) models; The ESQUIMAUX, a steam whaler of Dundee in an edition of Model Shipwright. 

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=6MycZCNIGqkC&pg=PA39&lpg=PA39&dq=dundee+steam+whalers&source=bl&ots=KdO7hfZbsj&sig=ZE065ohvxWScgZ_kk7H_gQF87S0&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj-qrblz4vVAhXlKcAKHXgkDqY4ChDoAQg_MAY#v=onepage&q=dundee steam whalers&f=false

It won't be around for long as google change the contents regularly.

This link is to an updated version that Bob has available on his website for a very small fee.  https://payhip.com/b/ugnq

Lovely model

Best

Alan