Bottled Ship Builder

Fly tying thread for rigging

CharlieB

Charlie,

Personally, I would choose the thickness depending on the scale of the SIB, and the particular part of the rigging,

One of the problems I've encountered with threads is that each manufacturer seems to have their own method of description for thickness, number of threads, etc.so its hard to know off the reel the size.

If you are unsure of the thickness, then get  a thin piece of dowel, mark two lines round the circumference  a known distance apart, say 2 mm, wind on your thread between the marks, counting the turns, then divide the number of turns into the 2 mm to give thread diameter (within limits).

You may want to have a look at http://restore-products.co.uk/ecommerce/product/ultrafyne_polyester_120_s_sewing_threads/ I know they are the wrong side of the pond for you, but the thread is thin.

Best

Alan

Greetings,

Keep in mind that fly tying thread is meant for a different purpose. Although I use it all the time, thing is it is not round in diameter like sewing thread, has very little twist overall. Any size smaller than 8/0 is just thinner in cross section one way, but just about the same width, if you get my meaning, because it is flat. Fly tying threads are designed that way to have a wide footprint for holding hackle and body material, without adding a lot of thickness to the fly body with multiple wraps to add in additional material. Still, about the thinnest threads you can find for SIB building. I tend to use threads that are single fiber when working on the smallest sizes, believe they are known as mono threads.

Hope that helps!

Anchor's A Weigh!

John Fox III

19 hours ago, exwafoo said:

One of the problems I've encountered with threads is that each manufacturer seems to have their own method of description for thickness, number of threads, etc.so its hard to know off the reel the size.

Yes, Alan, it is so!