Bottled Ship Builder

Steam schooner LENA. Scale 1/290

IgorSky

Hi, shipmates!
I want to offer you a story about one of my other projects. But ... I'll start my story from the very beginning :)

In summer 2015 I promised my wife to make for her a ship in a bottle larger sizes than previously made. For to fulfill a promise - I choiced the model of the steam schooner with the glorious history and the symbolic name "LENA".

History:
The wind power meets the power of steam in late 1800’s . In this period of maritime history, a hybrid generation of ships appeared combining these two. They kept the glory of sail ships and added independency from wind. Lena is a little steam schooner like that.
She was launched in 1875 in Sweden by Motala. She was 26.8m long, 4.95m wide and 2.59m deep. While sailing by wind, the funnel tilts back so that the sail boom can move freely.
She has an interesting story beginning with Nils Adolf Erik Nordenskiöld’s polar expedition. She joined the expedition as an auxiliary ship up to a point. She took part in Russian revolutions. She was reconstructed several times. Once in 1938. She was extended two meters in length, a new boiler was installed and living quarters were rebuilt.
In 1959, she was planned to be reserved as a historical vessel. But the attempts failed in 1967, the damage she suffered was beyond repair. But the model ship builders will help her to live forever. - by Captain from Free Ship Plans

P.S.  The name of my wife is Lena also:)

001.jpg

001_1.jpg

Edited by IgorSky