Bottled Ship Builder

Permission to Come Aboard?

Shipwright1912

Ahoy everybody!

My name is Brendan O'Rourke, I hail from the state of Missouri in the United States, and I've been "hittin' the auld bottle" for a little over a year now, perhaps a bit of an irony since I've been a lifelong teetotaler and I've never even seen the ocean, much less a ship, in person before. I caught the bug by watching Jim Goodwin, a professional SIB modeller, demonstrate the craft one fine Sunday morning on television, and after seeing him go through the motions, I thought to myself, "I'm going to have a go doing that. How hard can it be?" and then I embarked on making a SIB of the RMS Queen Mary. Famous last words!

In short, I found out it's actually quite hard, and the end result of my first foray into making fleets in a flask was quite crude, but nonetheless I hunkered down and stuck with it, and with each one I make, I seem to get a little better each time. Although, I don't consider myself a professional by any means, I have had a modicum of success selling my SIB's online on Etsy.com, where I run an online shop selling them as well as other little knick-knacks I make, and I also like to make SIB's as special presents for friends and family. To date, I've made about a dozen ships, most of them steamships, especially ocean liners, as I'm a bit of a steam nut and the liners are my favorite kinds of ship, but I've also enjoyed making more unusual things, such as a submarine in a bottle (USS Nautilus, the first nuclear submarine, to be exact), a school bus in a bottle, a vintage fire engine in a bottle, even a small recreation of the sea battle scene from H.G. Wells' "The War of the Worlds".  In all this time, I've yet to actually make a traditional sailing ship, the sort of ship everybody thinks of when they think of the ship in a bottle, not for want of will, indeed I'm getting ready to have a stab at making a few to change things up a little, but mainly I've shied away from making them because there are so many out there already...

In any case, I'm delighted to have come across this forum, and I look forward to hearing from you all!

Yours sincerely,

Brendan O. (AKA Shipwright1912)

Where it all began for me...(R.M.S.Queen Mary)

100_0840.thumb.JPG.04445854dfc0edd86f85e8a56a95adf7.JPG

My All Time Favorite of all the SIB's I've made, S.S. United States (may she be saved from the scrappers!)

100_0824.thumb.JPG.a48187d8c80ac388589d2c73ccef8aab.JPG

• 2 weeks later...