Bottled Ship Builder

Imperial Star 1948

I began this cargo liner in November.   Scale 32 feet to 1 inch (1:384)   Because she was such a big ship, the hull is 18 inches long overall, even at this small scale.   Not going in a bottle, of course, couldn't manage that!      Usually, I can build something like this within four or five weeks, but in this case, I lost interst shortly after starting.   With the better weather, and lighter afternoons, my interest has revived.   I have almost completed the bridge section now.    I hope it will move along a bit faster now.

Bob

1 (Medium).JPG

19 (Medium).JPG

Imperial Star 10th March 2017.JPG

I have now made more progress with the hatches, deckhouses, and after accommodation fitted.    Also fitted the side stanchions on the port side of the after accommodation this morning.     This one is taking an age to build - have been at it since November, but didn't do anything at all on it for over three months

Bob

42 (Large).JPG

58dfb819db0c3_58Winchescomplete(Large).thumb.JPG.f68c2464491dedc6693ce5cdf1b21c9d.JPG58dfb816569a9_55Winchparts(Large).thumb.JPG.796f29613f1eb129a8bbe6b87a6b5012.JPG58dfb8c51b72b_ImperialStar27thMarch2017(Medium).thumb.JPG.93ecedd4969ead27cae4fe93aa9147b9.JPG

I have now made the 14 small cargo winches.   It took about three hours, spread over three days to do this.   They look a bit rough close-up, but on the model, they look fine.    I now need to make two large winches, two warping winches and the anchor windlass.   Not very difficult, but a bit tedious making all those small parts, and then assembling and painting them.   In the image above, I have not yet fitted the winches.

Bob

Edited by Shipbuilder

• 1 month later...