Bottled Ship Builder

Lifeboat COLIN ARCHER RS1 Scale 1/230

IgorSky

First a bit of History...

1891 'Norsk Selskab til Skibbrudnes Redning, NSSR ("The Norwegian Society for Sea Rescue") was founded. A year later Colin Archer built the first rescue cutter.The result was a double-ender with a continuous deck. The length was 13.95 metres, beam 4.65 metres and draught 2.25 metres. Mainsail, mizzen, staysail, jib and a topsail made a total of 110 sq.metres. This prototype cost NOK 10.900,43, including beer for the workers.

At the launch in late July 1893 the ship was called after its designer, Colin Archer. 'RS1 Colin Archer' proved convincingly during her first season and became the prototype for every rescue cutter built in Norway over the next 30 years. After 40 years of loyal service, the prototype was sold. The ship had an impressive record: She had saved 67 ships, 236 people as well as assisting 1522 vessels carrying some 4500 crew.

In 1961 'RS1 Colin Archer' was found in America in a terrible condition after many years in private hands.She was brought back to Norway, and became a scout's boat for some years, but was finally acquired in 1972 by the Norwegian Maritime Museum. 1973 the museum concluded a long-term agreement with the Seilskøyteklubben Colin Archer (SSCA). Knut and Gunn von Trepka took over the day-to-day responsibility, and have devoted very much time to operating her as a living museum. The hull of 'RS1 Colin Archer' was comprehensively overhauled in 1977 and the interior was refurbished and restored to its original colours in 1993 with financial support from the Norwegian off-shore company Kværner.

'RS1 Colin Archer' ended Winner over All in the Cutty Sark Tall Ships' Race in 1983, leaving 74 ships behind. Also designed by Archer, the 'RS10 Christiania' ended second, and the Stephansen/Archer design 'RS5 Liv' came third. That this was no coincidence was proved in the next race in 1987, when the 'RS1 Colin Archer' again ended Winner over All and 'RS10 Christiania' was second best again. In 1993 'RS1 Colin Archer' ended Winner over All for the third time, and also took home the highest price of the Cutty Sark Tall ships' Races, The Cutty Sark Trophy.

Knut von Trepka (born 1940) is still in business as captain of the vessel. In 2011 his son Christian von Trepka (born 1967) and former crew Tor Erling Gransaether (born 1966) was also appointed skippers by the owner, the Norwegian Maritime Museum.

In the Easter 2013, "RS1 Colin Archer" caught a severe fire, but fortunately not more than a matter of rebuilding. After 12 months of repair and restauration at Maritime Center Fredrikstad AS, the boat was under sail again in the summer of 2014. As a true comeback after the fire, RS1 Colin Archer participated in the 4-days Tall Ships Race regatta from Harling, The Netherlands to Fredrikstad, Norway, winning both her class and the "Over All"-trophy, with more than 2 hours margine to the second.

Keeping 'RS1 Colin Archer' in the water preserves for future generations not only the ship, but also the knowledge of how to sail her. 

This info from http://www.colinarcher.no/

000.jpg

Then I started making deckhouses  and windlass.
For the making of the windlass, I used a couple of parts from PE-set, brass wire of 0.4 and 0.15 mm for shafts and knobs, brass tube of 0.8 mm for the manufacture of "gears".
Unfortunately, the windlass has turned too big. So I decided to do another version soon.

017_1.jpg

017_2.jpg

017_3.jpg

017_4.jpg

017_5.jpg

017.jpg

There are a lot of light windows on the deck of this boat. I could not come up of anything but how to use the brass profile 2x2 mm, two opposite walls I whittled away to get a rectangular shape. I also used a round brass tubes for the manufacture of some windows.

018.jpg

019.jpg

023.jpg

023_1.jpg

Edited by IgorSky