Bottled Ship Builder

MiniSIB - Koch - Russian polar ship, 1/1000

IgorSky

As for the contents of this bottle, I decided to build a model of the old Russian polar ship.

A little history from book "Koch – Russian polar ship: research and reconstruction problems": Koch – unique polar ship of pre Peters time is presented. Created by the Pomors, Koch became the only ship in the world that was adapted to sail in the ice conditions during the Epoch of Great Geographical Discoveries. Due to Koch, Russian manufactures and explorers could begin mastering of the Northern Sea Way, colonise the vast northern area, and found new settlements beyond the polar circle. Nowadays there are only written witnesses about Koch but the exact outlook and ships construction is unknown.
Based on archaeological excavations and scientific research of recent years the reconstruction program of Russian koch and preparation of the historical experiment to sail by the reconstructed ship was proposed. Realisation of this program will let Russian koch to be placed among the unique objects of World heritage such as the balsa raft «Коп-Tiki», reconstructed by Tour Heyerdal, and papyrus boat "Ra".

Features of the ship's structure makes it unique in their ability to travel long distances in the waters of the Arctic and subarctic regions of Eurasia, walking in difficult ice conditions. The streamlined hull contributed to his squeezing onto the surface when the ice compression, and a special form of the bottom and the side keels allowed the ship to drag dragged. There are several types of koches, but none of them survived to our time.
When building the model I use these drawings from the magazine "Modelist Constructor" 1973, №10

001.jpg

001a.jpg

So, I use the traditional materials: body - light pear, pink pear, bamboo for the mast.
I am starting with the manufacture of the deck-top part of hull and bottom underwater hull. The hull of this model is divided into two parts, as I am going to put Koch in a "sea" and the whole the hull does not go into the throat of the bottle.
This technique I use when the size of the model does not allow to make for deck plating in the traditional way.

004.jpg

005.jpg

Edited by IgorSky

16 hours ago, IOAN said:

As always, great! Sailing trying to glasses wipes. What rope use?

Thank you, IOAN!
In this case, I used percale fabric for making the sail.
I am using the mounting thread for making of rigging in my mini-projects. I buy these yarns in stores for fishermen. For larger projects I use threads Guterman.

Best Regards!
Igor.

5.jpg

12 After the sail dries, I once again I cover it with White glue without water.jpg

14.jpg

11215704_508043496014439_6566317909675996354_n.jpg

13344704_638461682972619_1851778419815959560_n.jpg