Bottled Ship Builder

M97 First Ship in a Bottle Build

WinchesterM97

Hello guys, I just joined the forums today and would like to share my sib build.  Now please hold back any rude and unnecessary comments, this is my very first ship in a bottle build.  I am a novice wood carver, I first started carving faces in trees about 8 years ago.  From what I seen so far from sib builders is that their level of detail and craftsman"ship" far exceeds the skills needed to carve faces in trees.  I would love to be a part of this group.  I took some pictures of my project so far and I came across a hiccup.  I would like to shape the ship to represent a real ship.  With faces, I'm allowed to wing it.  And I started doing that with this, trying to make sure the hull fills up a good portion of the bottle.  The hull fits snugly in the bottle neck and there should be enough room to add railing and hinged masts on top of the deck.  What I would like to hear is some suggests of ships that I should attemp to build and which one best represent the shape and style of the hull I got semi completed.  Also which one would fill the bottle up nicely.  

20170209_174928.jpg

20170209_182211.jpg

20170209_174840.jpg

20170208_152349.jpg

Welcome to the forum.  It's looking great so far.  Great choice in bottle.  I've built a few ships in that exact type of bottle and they've turned out great.  

As far as winging it and detail don't worry at all.  We've had many advanced builders on here that do beautiful work and are very detailed but that is only one side of the art.  

The other side is folk art which is more like you're tree faces.  It doesn't have to be precise.  Ships can be characatures that show a feeling rather than a precise model.  Here's an example.

IMG_20170125_153846.jpg

The ship isn't precise to anything.  I made it up as I went along.  It is simply a pirate ship because I wanted to make a pirate ship.  On a precise basis the mizzen is to short the cannons are practically at the water line and they are way to big but who cares.  It looks like a ship that's all that matters.  Have fun with this hobby.  Hobbies are supposed to be fun.  And don't worry about precision unless you want to.  It's your ship in bottle do it you're way.  I look forward to seeing how she turns out.  

Hi, WinchesterM97!
Welcome aboard!

I do not think you should worry about the rude and unnecessary comments. Each of us had once made his first model and continues to learn and try.
As I see it, you can draw the complete plan of your ship and assess the degree of filling of the internal volume of the bottle.

In addition, the hull of the model you can make from more parts.
I do not have the experience of the wood's carving, but it seems to me, it is quite difficult art, in which is difficult to correct mistakes. I ordered a set of incisors and I hope to get it soon. Then I'll try.

Have you any photo yuor works?

Best Regards!
Igor.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Thank you DSiemen and IgorSky for the warm welcome and ideals.  I'm going wing it on this first model and make it up as I go along.  But I will definitely try out your method on the next one IgorSky.  I do like the thought of being historical accurate but I also do like the unpressured "mold the wood the way it wants to be molded".   I have a feeling I be doing abit of both.  

The bottle I'm using is a style we have stop using when bottling maple surup.  Mostly do to the fact that they are small and don't sell as good as quarts jars and larger ones.  If anyone is looking for a style bottle like this I believe I got these from Sugar Bush, I would have to look for the catolog to make sure.  I got a couple other styles from there that I would like to try this craft on.  

I'm trying this project from a different angle and going try to form the side rails and stairs by carving. The stern deck railing will be form from a different piece of wood, I dont want to bring that deck down any lower.  Once i got the railing and stairs carved the way I like, I start adding the decking accessories.  Attached should be a update photo of the project.  Still going carve a bit on the back of the hull and add a captin quaters. I might try adding deck stairs that would go to the lower decks towards the center of the deck space and I get the stairs down as far as possible before using a drill to add depth.  I was also wondering what do you guys use to make your cannons?  I had thoughts of trying to shorten some nails and glue them between a homemade wooden carriage for the top deck and then use just the nails for the lower decks.  Your thoughts and ideals are always welcomed.  

Carving does have a slow begining when first starting.  It can lend to disapointments on the first few trys.  Biggest thing is to learn the four major carving cuts and to keep trying.  Also pick up some basswood from a crafting or construction store, I think even warlmart sells it, it will keep you from quitting.  While carving I always think about creating shadow and depth on the piece.   Once I got the shape I like, I go over it, clean it up, and smooth/round it out.

I don't have any examples of my previous works here.   I done most on public lands, close to atv trails, and a couple in the neighbor's woods by my relative's cabin.  It brings a smile to my face each time I think of someone stumbling across one, pulling out a camera and snapping a picture of it.  I first started out using just a 6 inch blade, birch on the first few.  But I soon discovery, 1 maybe two years, the tree would heal up and the face will be all but gone.  Realizing my cuts got to get deeper I now use the habor frieght 8 inch blade and a small hatchet.  Being a cheap blade I dont have to worry about damaging it or breaking it, plus the prommel is semi flat so I can pound the hatchet againist it to get those deeper cuts for the most important spots.  I will have some free time coming up, Tuesday to Thrusday, that I be spending some time in the woods "ones I do not own, but a friend."  I take some pictures of the process and remember to bring my tools with when I go.    

20170211_023103.jpg

The only nasty comments I have experienced have been from me directed at me - for example, I mentioned in another thread my practise SIB,  is now on its 6th or 7th set of masts. Well, it is now on its 7th or 8th set because I dropped it this morning, and just like buttered toast, it landed wrong side down. The air was blue!

welcome on board

Alan

Bob - winging it is making it up as you go.  Never thought about it but I guess it could be an American saying.  

Winchester - the best Connor material I've found so far it wire inulastion.  Find an old cell phone charger cable or pick one up at the store if needed.  Cut it open and there will be red white and black wire.  Cut off bits of the black wire and put them on a rectangular piece of wood.  

Also if you want pull the wire out from inside the wirest insulation.  This can be difficult.  Once done though it will actually look like it has a bore to it.  It's small enough if you don't do that it doesn't matter.  No one will really notice.  

22 hours ago, WinchesterM97 said:

I do like the thought of being historical accurate but I also do like the unpressured "mold the wood the way it wants to be molded".

Hi, Winchester!
No, no, I did not mean exactly the historical accurate. I would like to tell only about some scheme showing the assembly sequence, the fixation point rigging, etc.

Best Regards!
Igor.

On ‎12‎.‎02‎.‎2017 at 0:19 PM, WinchesterM97 said:

I was also wondering what do you guys use to make your cannons?

Hi, Winchester!
What size cannons do you need?

Please, look at these videos:

If you need the cannons at all small in size, it is possible to use a thin tube or needle to the syringe. I have tried to do this and I will look for the photo later.

Best Regards!
Igor.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the ideals you guys/gals have given me.  I been busy for the past couple of weeks due to maple syrup, not running quite just yet but trees are tapped and equipment cleaned up.  I wasn't able to work on the sib much at all, until last couple of nights.  Mostly finishing cuts before details.  During this time I was able to explore the forums abit and see how others tackle the project.  Lots of techniques, found some interesting ones especially your seas IgorSky, I found your how to pdf file and I'm going give it a try, I'm guessing hobby lobby for epoxy resin.  Just  also order myself a set of medical pliers after realizing my finger aint to good at holding and placing toothpick size pieces, those should be here soon.  Well a progress photo of the build.

14882595524101145559977.jpg

1488259786617-1388862535.jpg

• 7 months later...

Wow, weather starts warming up here and I had to put it on the back burner.  I done alittle over the summer but not much.  I decide to add "planks" to the sides, made them by cutting lumber up on the table saw.  But here a shot of it in it current state, I'm sure things will pick up on this project as the winter hits. 

15069621885221195225474.jpg