Bottled Ship Builder

In the past adding images to create a gallery was easy to do. I have had no issues and no difficulty in doing so. In recent days I have made

numerous attempts to create a new gallery with recent work I have completed. Sadly I cannot add images with what I have learned is due to

a lowering of file size acceptance.  A procedure which should be so easy to accomplish is now a harrowing task.

I'm very sorry that posting pictures has become more difficult.  I will look up and post some free websites and information to bring the sizes down.  Here is the reasoning though.

Pictures were not posting because the forum ran out of space.  Support managed to free up 700 mb with out losing any of the information posted.  At around 4 mb a photo that's 175 photos before we are out of space again.  Lowering it to 2 mb makes it last 350.  

We can buy more space but I want to keep this site free for all users.  So I thought that keeping the photo sizes lower could keep us going a bit longer.  

Where does that leave us in the future  though?  As I said I want to keep the site free.  We will need to fund things more as we grow.  I have thought about things like donations and even advertising from specific vendors (not random Google ads) but wanted to save that for when we were a little more established.  If that's something we want to discuss I'm always happy to hear ideas.  

If every one is having a really difficult time posting photos I can change it back to unlimited.  Let me know what you all think.  

I do want to explain my idea as far as advertising.  There are a few of us that have websites selling our work.  I would be happy to put a banner on this website that would link directly to a sellers website for an agreed upon amount.  I would also be happy to post photos and links on the Facebook page for sellers that help fund this website.  Our views continue to grow on Facebook and I think we are getting a lot of traffic from it.  Enough that at least one advertiser has posted a thread on needing a viking ship.  There's a surprising amount of people who have set up usernames that don't post.  I think they just want to look around which I'm very happy about.  We're generating interest and that's what we're here for.  It may be worth while for some one trying to sell their work to get a banner and Facebook posts promoting their site.  I'm happy to discuss that if any one is interested.  

I use a a Brice Lambston Image-resizer from Powertoys (Free download).      I use it wiith my Windows 7 and it works perfectly.    There is a choice of sizes and the whole process is done with just two clicks.   One on the right mouse button to open the image, click on small, medium or large and the image is resized, making an extra copy, but leaving the original large image intact.   Here is a "small" image of only 43kb.   

Activity here seems to be declining rapidly these days, and it may be a good idea to inroduce a new section for ships that are not in bottles.     I know that all types of model are welcome here, but it may not be apparent to new site visitors.

My own modelmaking is much reduced at the moment, but that has a lot to do with the weather.     Some of the work has to be done at my bench that is in the open air, and at this time of the year, it is mainly pouring with rain, freezing cold or snowing!:(

Bob

Louisiana (Small).jpg

Edited by Shipbuilder
Added bit in brackets.

Building ships in bottles is a rare and unique art form,. It is unique and more importantly as shipwrights we who create this art have significant rare

skills needed to bottle a vessel " under glass." We are fewer in number worldwide so why minimize or generalize the art form as General Ship Modeling?

Allot of parameters need to be considered ie, the bottleneck dimensions, the volume inside the bottle etc. We are limited to the size of the bottle the vessel

is going in. Unlike ships that are on static display these parameters need not be considered, just saying. Perhaps a separate discussion is warranted

I still feel a general section would be beneficial, because it might encourage other types of modellers to try and put one in a bottle.     My own field of cased  miniatures is considerably smaller than bottlers (I mean the number of people who build them, not the actual size of the models).    A relatively high number of people put ships in bottles, but I am hard-pushed to find more than a handful that build cased miniatures like myself.      I doubt if I will ever even try to put one in a bottle, but I am still interested in seeing what bottlers produce because by their very nature, they are miniatures and mostly scratchbuilt as well.      Here is another put on via www.postimage.org    The British four-masted barque Marion Lightbody.     I would not stand a chance of making that lot fold down and up again!:o

Bob

Marion_Lightbody_1_150_dpi.jpg

Well I decided to open up a separate forum just for miniature discussion.  Let me know if the names OK or if I should change it.  I think it's easy enough to switch between the two so why not have a designated place.  I also want miniature builders to be able to say the belong to this site and are not just tag alongs with similar interests.  We're a small group, we aught to stick together.      

• 2 years later...