Bottled Ship Builder

Need Ship in Bottle Builder in NYC

Hi,

I'm working on a film shoot and need a ship in bottle made. It must be a viking longship with a mast that can be raised and lowered for at least 3 takes. I've had multiple ship in bottles makers tell me it's not possible.

The ship does not need to be very detailed. I thought about buying a kit but the smallest viking ship kit I've been able to find is 10 inches long and 6 inches high. Not sure if that would even fit in a gallon jug. I was thinking about getting the circular bottom of the bottle cut out so it would be easier to reset for takes. It's going to be closeup so camera can frame out anything that looks weird. I need it to be ready by EOD December 16th.

Email me or call me for details about budget: heatheryancey@gmail.com or 917 652 9231. Thank you for your time!

Captura de pantalla 2016-12-07 a la(s) 2.28.04 PM.png

I'm also interested in someone just building a viking ship that I could then hire someone else to take apart the mast and rig it before inserting it into a cut open bottle. I know this isn't necessarily in the spirit of impossible bottles but I'd like to feature someone's work rather than buy a kit.

I don't know why the mast's wouldn't be able to be raised and lowered for three separate takes.  Particularly for a viking ship.  I don't know what ship in bottle builder's you've talked to but they must not be very good.  If it was a multi masted clipper ship yeah that might be harder but this is a single masted viking ship.  There's not much to it.

I'm not sure about the kit in the gallon jug either.  You'd have to take measurements or try and find a bottle the kit would fit in.  I don't think you'd have to cut the bottle.  Just take a long wire like a coat hanger and use it to push the mast back down for the next take.  With such a simple ship you can do it ten times.   

Having it ready in eight days would be tough though.  There's probably one ship in bottle builder I know that might be able to do that.  His name is Jim Goodwin.  You can contact him through his Facebook page Carolina Ship in Bottles. https://www.facebook.com/CarolinaShipsinBottles/ He did the ships in bottles for the movie the Lovely Bones and I know they have a shot with exactly what you describe only they used a top sail sloop instead of a viking ship.  If I had a month I might consider it but given the short amount of time I would try Jim Goodwin.        

Thank you for the advice. I just facebook messaged Jim. I think the ship builders I contacted were wary as well about the turnaround time. They told me they didn't have a plan already for a viking ship so it would have taken them quite a bit of designing and sourcing.

Are you in the tristate area?

Wow designing and sourcing?  It's a viking ship in bottle.  Especially if you don't want a detailed one I can find 100 plans on Google right now and design it in ten minutes.  The hard part is the carving and rigging.  

I'm not I'm in Colorado.  I've shipped sib's as far as the UK with out a problem which is why I would consider it.  Sounds like a fun project.  It's always nice when ships in bottles appear in the media.  We're a very small community and it's such a niche hobby.  It's nice to be highlighted from time to time.  If you can let us know where me might be able to see your production once you have it completed.     

Thanks Daniel for the referral.  Got the message on the FB business page & will call them today.   Fortunately my holiday orders are nearing completion, so I could have time to work on this.  Shouldn't take too long, though the bow & aft scrolls/head will have to be added after the hull is in the bottle.  Shall keep you informed.   Have recently completed some for the program The Magicians.  Will be shown in near the end of the forthcoming 2nd season.  They wanted  human figures with rabbit heads on the deck & rigging.   Called it the Bunny Boat.  Figures were 9mm tall.  Got railroad figures & rabbit figures, cut the heads off & attached, and mounted them on a topsail schooner ( Pride of Baltimore-type).  The prop folks were happy with it.        Cheers & thanks again.

• 2 weeks later...

Update for the forum.  I built two of these in a little over a weekend.  Couple of late nights but it was a fun experience.  I didn't take time to get to photos.  I was to worried about getting them done in time.  I did get this one though at around 1:30 am.  The first took twelve hours.  This one I did straight through beginning to end in six hours.  Many thanks to hyancey for the experience and Jim for letting me take a crack at it even though I referred him first.    

20161213_070942.jpg

Coincidence!

A couple of weeks ago, Domestic Management bespoke a Longship in a Bottle. I've only got as far as drafting up drawings, I decided to do a small raider of 6 to 8 oars a side, and am adapting drawings found on the net, but the bottle is the same as Daniel's. I've got to be fairly accurate in this build as she knows a fair bit of history and this is one of her favorite time periods. Knowledge includes all the current 'on display' restored viking vessels, their build methods, etc, up to and including being able to read the runic inscriptions. We visited the Longship exhibition in the British Museum  a couple of years ago when their was a special show of some reconstructed Longships and viking artifacts brought over from Scandinavia. The ships were a lot bigger than expected. Unfortunately, no photography - a blatant attempt to get people to spend more on books etc as one exited through the obligatory shop.

This SIB will be in the spotlight, I'll do a build log when I start.

Alan

R0012083.jpg

That is quiet the coincidence.  I would say don't follow mine to closely.  It was done quick and with not a whole lot of regard to historical accuracy.  Though I did look into a few videos of people building vikings ships on youtube.  Lot's of good stuff out there.  Mine served it's purpose well for what was needed.  Souds like your's will need a lot more research and accuracy.  

Your going to like that bottle.  It is easy to work with.  The opening is pretty big but still narrows quiet a bit so it keeps the charm of a good ship in bottle.  I look forward to seeing what you do with it.