Bottled Ship Builder

Activity?

Hi Bob,

I check regularly as well. I'm readying the garden and putting frost sensitive plants in the greenhouse at the moment. But now the clocks have gone back and its dark when I'm getting home it will be indoor work in the evenings. Planning to finish off a couple of ships before starting another. Is there any chance you could describe to us how your wife makes such a super job of the sea  in your models please. They are a work of art.

Best

Alan

The only ones suitable to go in bottles are the plasticine ones, and they are just painted with Humbrol enamels, blue first, then white added whilst it is still wet so that it runs.    I have now discontinued plasticine because the quality of the modern stuff is not as good as it used to be.   I now use polysyrene packing foam shaped with a small gas torch that has the air intake turned off so that the flame is just the strength of a candle flame.     That is painted with white wood glue and a sheet of crepe paper pressed over it.   After it is dry, the crepe paper is sprayed with grey matt automobile primer to give it a good painting surface.    Finally, it is painted.

Bob

Bob,

Thanks for the reply. I'd never have guessed they were polystyrene. I agree it would be hard to get a blowtorch into a bottle, but, hey, there are lots of clever sibbers out there. But, it may come in useful for the brig kit I'm slowly doing. I do have a plastic sea base for it from the manufacturer, but the hull cut out fits where it touches, and I'm not over impressed by the size and direction of the wave pattern so it would require a bit of work with filler anyway. This would also dictate the wind direction and therefore the general angle and set of the sails. So I may just start to experiment with your method and see what I can do, especially as its not going in a bottle. I'll start a build log for it.

Thanks again for sharing.

Alan