Bottled Ship Builder

Superior Micro Saw

Dave Fellingham

I've been using an outstanding micro saw from MicroMark on my Constitution project.  I couldn't do the work I've done on it without this little saw.

post-30-0-58318700-1463685997_thumb.jpg

The saw blades look like, and are the size of, double edge razor blades but both

edges are very fine saw blades -- 70 teeth per inch and only .005 in./.127 mm

kerf.  The saw blades sell in packs of five double edge saw blades.

post-30-0-09960300-1463685997_thumb.jpg

Handle for the saw blades.  I sanded a flat on one side of the handle

so it wouldn't roll off the work bench.

The usual disclaimer applies -- I don't have any affiliation with MicroMark other than being a very satisfied customer and user of their products.

I've got some of the saws from here. So far I've been using one small one, its cut brass, soft wood, hard wood and styrene with no obvious blunting. Likewise no association other than satisfied customer. The Blade is thin enough that it works better on the pull stroke.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_112&zenid=d6ada279408625a3a180d5bdc3649307

Alan

I've seen these before. Another static modeler in my local club uses them and really likes what they can do. He's an engineer who like David is very careful about making sure measurements are precise and accurate. His work has been displayed is a few different museums. If this is what helps get such precise and clean work I think I'll have to try it out.

I've got some of the saws from here. So far I've been using one small one, its cut brass, soft wood, hard wood and styrene with no obvious blunting. Likewise no association other than satisfied customer. The Blade is thin enough that it works better on the pull stroke.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=77_112&zenid=d6ada279408625a3a180d5bdc3649307

Alan

I checked out the link and am very intrigued by some of the saw blades sold there, some with even finer teeth spacing than the one I show. I especially like the versions that mount in a standard blade holder for making small detail cuts. Bookmarked and a wish list started.