Bottled Ship Builder

Sunken ship.

Hello all! This is my first post here, sorry if this is the wrong section to post this!

Okay. So I have a large, flat bottle and I wanted to try doing two ships in it.

I want to have one sunk, at the bottom of the bottle, but I'm not sure what to do for water.

is there some kind of resin I can use?

Any help is appreciated!

I have used the resin water effects from Woodland Scenics on dioramas and it works very good. I have Liquitex acrylic paints and they are excellent and are of high quality. If their pouring medium is as good as their paints you will be very successful. Do you plan to tint the medium a bit with some blue acrylic paint before you pour?

Jeff

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for answering!

before I got back to look for replies I stopped at an art supply store and asked there.

they suggested Liquitex pouring medium, so I picked up a bottle of it.

I'm gonna try it in a different glass first, but what do you guys think?

Medium is essentially a paint base without pigment and dries transparent. If placed thick (over about 1/8 inch / 3 mm) it won't dry clear but will remain milky. Medium is useful for water surface treatments (wave caps, bow waves, etc.) but will be a problem with deep water as you describe. Casting resin or epoxy might be a better choice but will still need to be placed in layers so the generated heat won't break the glass.

Medium is essentially a paint base without pigment and dries transparent. If placed thick (over about 1/8 inch / 3 mm) it won't dry clear but will remain milky. Medium is useful for water surface treatments (wave caps, bow waves, etc.) but will be a problem with deep water as you describe. Casting resin or epoxy might be a better choice but will still need to be placed in layers so the generated heat won't break the glass.

Dave, This is some really good advice.  

Gwyl

• 2 months later...

How about using a 'darkish' or tinted glass bottle then using background things like 'seaweed', rocks etc. to hold the sunken ship. Then you don't need the resin. There are silk flower companies that offer their silk flowers in a vase replete with 'water' which is a clear resin. It eventually yellows (I have some of their silk flowers in vases). You might ask them what they use. It might be a 'proprietary secret' but all they might do is say sorry... it's a secret!

• 1 year later...

Max TCR Epoxi resin. It is a low heat curing epoxi so it does not need to be poured in small layers and it can be tinted transparent light blue with transparent epoxi pigment.

It is used to simulate water on floral arrangements.

Here is the link

https://theepoxyexperts.com/shop/casting-resins/soft-casting/max-tcr-64-oz-acrylic-water-epoxy-clear-floral-arranging-water-simulation/