Bottled Ship Builder

Pirate Ship Scavenger

DSiemens

John Fox III has a nice tutorial on a figure head in his BonHomme Richard as a ship in light bulb model (figure 9). I have the article saved electronically. PM me if you want it.

The figure head looks okay to me just the same. Some of them were originally pretty big in size so no worries ... Jeff

I think it's quite a bit too large, perhaps 2 or 3X too big even considering Jeff's comment. Take another look at the McCaffery figureheads in my Constitution log comparing their size to the decorative trim of the beakhead knees. The trail boards would be between those two light colored trim pieces.  A smallish figurehead would fit on the notch behind your figurehead's head, a largish one might have legs or a skirt that flows into the trail boards as you see in some of the McCaffery figureheads.

You have a number of bobstays attached to the bowsprit at the doubling with the jib boom down to about where your figurehead's feet are at the lower part of the beakhead. Those bobstays counter the strain of the fore topmast stay that also attaches to the bowsprit at the doubling. Obviously your figurehead is in the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Making some progress.  I redid the figure head.  This time I used paper. Not as easy to tell what it is but at least it's much more proportionate.  I still need to get some other paint to fix the flesh tone though.  Right now it looks like she's sunburned.  

20160716_201357.jpg

I also built up the main mast and added the cat heads.  I need to get the anchors on.  

20160716_201329.jpg

20160716_201259.jpg

20160716_201252.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

A little more rigging done.  

20160814_183229.jpg

20160814_183220.jpg

20160814_183159.jpg

The forestays are still temporary.  I like to get the back stays done first.  Also I discovered a new glue for the ratings that's working pretty well.  It's call fray check.  It's a glue for keeping cloth from fraying and works well when gluing thread together.  I've found it doesn't clump up like superglue does.  Dries quiet a bit slower but I need to learn patience with glue any way.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

That's my rigging box I made some time ago.  I've put quiet a few ships through it.  I'm in a local modeling club that has workshop monthly.  I needed away to get models back and forth with out damaging them.  

Here's another ship I did in it.  I can keep glue, string and tweezers in it too.  

post-307-0-62895700-1376115174_thumb.jpgpost-307-0-33215500-1376115173_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...